Let Us Support The Following

Friday, May 28, 2010

From sidelines, Casio aches to play again

DOHA, QATAR — Smart-Gilas national team mainstay JV Casio said he's looking forward to playing again this month when he fully recovers from a knee injury.

"I've been out for more than a month," said Casio, who is with the rest of the Smart-Gilas delegation in the 21st FIBA-Asia Champions Cup here. "I'm doing strengthening on my quadriceps and calf in order to protect my knee."

"By two weeks time I can run on a regular speed. Hopefully by another two weeks I'll join the team practice," added the former De La Salle University stalwart.

The 5-foot-11 Casio injured his right knee in the Nationals' final friendly game in Serbia. It was later diagnosed a Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL) injury that needed a rest.

Smart-Gilas Serbian head coach Rajko Toroman considers Casio a gem of a guard although he’s just a back-up to starting guard Mark Barroca. He also forms a formidable guard tandem with Chris Tiu.

Casio said he's just fortunate to be playing with the team since Toroman formed Smart-Gilas a year ago.

"All of us here are practicing, so even if one goes down with an injury, someone will always step up. I guess my only advantage is that I've been practicing with the team for one year straight," said Casio, who was the best guard in the Dubai Invitational where the Philippines placed third.

NEXT GAME: (Quarterfinals)
Smart Gilas RP vs. Al Riyadi-Lebanon
8:00pm Qatar time (May 28) or 1:00am Manila time (May 29)

0 comments:

Post a Comment | Feed

Post a Comment



 

All Sports Updates Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision. rexor45